What is a chemical peel? Am I good candidate for one? I’m originally from East India. Sonali


Hi Sonali, There are three basic types of chemical peels that provide varying penetration, from mild (penetrates outer skin layer for gentle exfoliation; aka alpha-hydrolic acid); medium (gets to the outer and middle layers of skin to remove damaged skin cells; aka glycolic acid); and deep peel (aka tricholoracetic acid) deeply penetrates middle layer of skin to remove damaged skin cells).  Each has its PROs/CONs:  Mild Peel: used to refresh the face, neck, chest or hands; Medium Peel:  used to improve age spots, fine lines and wrinkles, freckles and moderate skin discoloration; and Deep Peel:  used to remove moderate lines, age spots, freckles and shallow scars; provide a dramatic improvement in skin appearance; can be used only once.  Chemical peels are usually indicated for those with fair-skin and light-hair and it should be remembered that skin sags/bulges/wrinkles do not respond well to chemical peels.  These are better addressed by other kinds of procedures such as laser resurfacing, facelifts, brow lifts, eyelid lifts or soft tissue fillers.  Please consult a dermatologic surgeon to see which peel and/or procedure will address your concerns.